Skip to content
Home » Man Sentenced After Dog Saved From Hot Car At Premier Inn

Man Sentenced After Dog Saved From Hot Car At Premier Inn

A man has been sentenced for leaving a dog in a car on one of the hottest days of the year.

Police were called at 12.52pm on July 18, 2022 by a member of the public who reported a Rottweiler trapped in a car at the Premier Inn in Swanland Road, South Mimms.

The member of the public tried the car door handle, which was unlocked, and managed to provide it with water.

Officers attended the scene where they found the dog in distress, foaming at the mouth.

They doused him in water and drove him to the Royal Veterinary College with their air con on.

Upon arrival, the dog had a temperature of 42 degrees Celsius and was in a life-threatening state.

The dog’s owner, Michael Haye, 39, of Fraser Road, Walthamstow, was located at the hotel and it was believed that he had fallen asleep.

He was arrested and taken into custody.

During questioning, Haye told officers that he had left the dog with some water however this consisted of a bottle of water and a dog bowl which was found bone dry and too hot to touch.

Despite taking a turn for the worst later on that day, the dog ended up making a full recovery and he is in the process of being rehomed.

Haye appeared at St Albans Magistrates’ Court on Monday, April 17 where he pleaded guilty to an animal cruelty offence.

He was disqualified from having a dog for 10 years and ordered to pay compensation of £6504.77 for kennel and vet costs.

Haye was also given a community order with a requirement to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work within the next twelve months.

Detective Sergeant Mikey Logue said: “On the date of the incident, we were experiencing extremely hot weather and the Met Office had even issued a warning.

“The temperature was around 38 degrees Celsius.

“The poor dog was so weakened that he had to be picked up out of the car and lifted into a police vehicle as he couldn’t walk.

“When officers left the vets, they were informed that he had taken a turn for the worst.

“Thankfully, he pulled through, but it was very close to being a different outcome.

“We are very pleased with the result of this case and I hope it is reassuring to the public.

“As we approach summer, this incident serves as an important reminder to pet owners about the dangers of leaving dogs in vehicles in hot weather.

“They can quickly become dehydrated, develop heat stroke, and die.

“Even if you park in the shade, the temperature can still rise to dangerous and fatal levels. Please do not risk it.”