Skip to content
Home » Man Trapped In Dalston House As E-Bike Batteries Catch Fire

Man Trapped In Dalston House As E-Bike Batteries Catch Fire

A man suffered smoke inhalation after being trapped by a blaze firefighters believe was caused by dodgy batteries in a converted e-bike.

The fire broke out at a semi-detached house in Middleton Road, Dalston, Hackney, in the early hours of Sunday (April 9).

Investigators believe a converted e-bike had caught fire. It is understood its batteries were second-hand and had been bought online.

​READ MORE: Warnings over climate change after flooding at north London NHS sites

The London Fire Brigade was called at 4.12am and one man was rescued by firefighters from the first floor because the bike was blocking the escape route.

He was treated for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews.

Half of a staircase in the house was damaged by fire.

Another person left the building before firefighters arrived.

The blaze was one of two across London caused by e-bikes or e-scooters over the bank holiday weekend.

The second took place the following day (Monday, April 10) in Streatham.

Firefighters were called at 2.54pm. The blaze affected the ground floor of a three-storey house of multiple occupation (HMO) on Barrow Road.

A smoking e-scooter was moved to a communal area, where the fire spread.

Two men had to be led to safety by firefighters using fire escape hoods via an internal staircase.

One woman and three children left the house before crews arrived.

Both fires involved an electric bike or scooter and come as the Brigade continues its ‘#ChargeSafe’ campaign – highlighting the fire risks associated with lithium batteries, which are commonly used with e-bikes and scooters.

READ MORE: Hackney school building damaged by fire caused by bread oven

Deputy Commissioner Dom Ellis said: “Investigators believe a converted e-bike caught fire at the house in Dalston and we understand the bike’s batteries were purchased online second-hand.

“The bike was on charge at the time and due to where it was being charged, blocked an escape route and a man had to be rescued by our firefighters via a short extension ladder.

“It is vital that you never block your escape route with anything, including e-bikes and e-scooters. And the only way to be sure of a legal, safe and reliable e-bike is to buy one in complete form, from a trusted and reputed retailer.

“Meanwhile, at the incident on Barrow Road, a smoking e-scooter was moved by an occupant from a room to a communal area of the house where the fire then spread.

“Moving the scooter significantly increased the risk to everyone inside the house and reaffirms our advice which is if you suspect there is a fire involving these types vehicles, leave it, shut the door, get out and call 999.”

According to the brigade, it has been called to an e-bike or e-scooter fire on average once every two days since the start of this year.

This is a 60 per cent increase in the rate of these fires compared to the same period last year.